St. Mark is grateful for faithful pastors that have served, and for our pastors leading us today.
In 1954-1955 St. Luke Lutheran Church considered options to deal with rapid growth. The United Lutheran Synod in Iowa recommended a separate mission church rather than a building expansion. In 1955-1956 Pastor Raymond A. Tiemeyer of St. Luke cooperated with the Iowa Synod in organizing a South East Mission among members of St. Luke living east of Lakeport. A planning committee of Paul Bechtol, Cliff Dudley, Elwyn Brakke, Rex Voils, H. A. Baak, and Donald Kelly called the Rev. Milton A. Eklund as Mission Developer in May of 1956 and the first Sunday worship service was held in the auditorium of Whittier School on June 10, 1956. That summer and fall the name St. Mark was chosen and the Sunday School, choir and women’s auxiliary were organized. A budget of $10,000 was approved. On December 2, 1956, St. Mark Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally constituted with 113 adult members and 55 child members.
The first Church Council approved purchase of 3 acres for a future building, and in the meantime, church services and activities were held at Whittier School, at St. Luke, at the little house on the property, at the Latham Park clubrooms and at St. James Methodist Education wing. When the first parsonage was purchased in 1958, a small chapel there also hosted events. Pastor Eklund left for another call in October 1958, and the congregation called a seminary student, Robert A. Beckstrom, who did pulpit supply and pastoral calls while finishing his education. Pastor Beckstrom graduated, was ordained and was installed at St. Mark by June 1959. Fundraising for a building began that same month and $12,000 was committed in one-year pledges. The official groundbreaking for the first unit took place on September 11, 1960 and construction started the next day. On June 11, 1961, St. Mark held its final service at Whittier School, five years after the first service there, and the following Sunday the congregation processed from Whittier School to the new church building. The church was dedicated on October 14, 1962.
In 1970 groundbreaking for a second unit estimated at $300,000 took place and the second unit was completed in December 1979, providing a new sanctuary and new social hall, with expanded classroom and office space. This space is now called "The Forum" and is used for hospitality/fellowship/learning.
In 1987 St. Mark became a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
In 2004 the current sanctuary was completed, along with a new and larger fellowship hall and kitchen. In 2015 the 'old sanctuary' was remodeled and now serves as "The Forum" - a place for hospitality and learning.
But more than buildings - St. Mark is people!!!
GOD'S WORK. OUR HANDS.
GOD'S WORD. OUR VOICES.
GOD'S WELCOME. FOR YOU!
St. Mark Lutheran Church ELCA
5200 Glenn Avenue
(East Morningside neighborhood)
Sioux City, Iowa 51106
coffee begins at 8:45 am
Vacation Bible School is June 23-27, 5:30 to 8:00pm at First Lutheran Church, 3939 Cheyenne Blvd, in Sioux City
6:00 pm Evening Prayer
A great place for kids!
9:00am to 1:00pm
712 - 276 - 2418
Website built & best when viewed with Mozilla Firefox